Follow This Blog

Saturday 6 August 2022

Introducing Mr. "One Time" Gorilla

I have maintained a blog and an Instagram account for a while now. Having travelled to play poker in 19 countries and 96 poker rooms (and counting) I like to share my photos of different places and games. But one time someone stole my photo and used it as their own. So since then I tried to put my "signature" on my photos by placing my "card protector toy". My fantasy is that I will travel the world to play poker and out of the blue someone on the table will recognize my toy and call me by my nickname. LOL You can follow my Instagram HERE

Recently there has been a lot of comments and reactions towards Mr. Gorilla and I felt that I have the need to clarify some things. Contrary to popular belief, the toy is not "blessed", nor has any super powers. I do not pray to the toy nor have it prayed for. It is not a "lucky charm", but it's just for people to recognize my photos are original. 

No they are not friends

Years ago I had another toy "Mr. Samurai". I bought him in Tokyo and the reason I liked it was it reminds me to have a Samurai mentality. Never give up, fight with honor, fight with integrity. I don't know if it was offensive to Japanese players but I meant none of it. But that toy was wobbly and a couple of the legs on the horse broke and I had to glue them back on. Later it just breaks too easily especially if I carry it in my hoodie pocket. Mr. Samurai officially retired on 22nd Oct 2019. So I found "Mr. Gorilla" in Taipei. 

Mr. Gorilla in Rozvadov

I think the stance Mr. Gorilla has makes people feel that it's a "blessed" figure. I had players actually do the 🙏 to it, some players instantly ask me to pick it up if it's fallen, (as if the gods would be angered if I don't), some call it my lucky charm or associate my wins to it. At first I follow along jokingly but I since think I need to clarify what it means to me. 

Mr. Samurai in Barcelona

Mr. Samurai reminds me to be strong and win with honor. Mr. Gorilla with it's praying stance reminds me to pray and thank God for everything I have. Some of you may have read my article about being a Christian poker player, I want to give glory to God even in this somewhat "dodgy" career choice. It reminds me I am not doing this alone and I am not doing this for myself only. Be thankful, be humble, be hopeful and have faith. 

I call Mr. Gorilla my "one time, every time". But the fact it, win or lose, I am thankful, blessed, joyful and at peace, all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment