Follow This Blog

Friday 2 December 2022

Cape Town Monster Jam Poker Tour (MJPT) Report

South Africa, the 20th country I've played poker in, and I must say it's probably the most interesting, eye opening, most surprising trip I've had. Before taking the trip I've been told plenty of things about South Africa, so I had formed some preconceptions about the place and the people and boy was I wrong. Mind you there are places that are dangerous, and so far every house I've seen comes with a high fence and some even electrified, but if you're not street smart, there are dangers in any city or country. But the land is definitely blessed. Beautiful ocean, majestic mountains, wide open plains, incredible flora and fauna, it's hard not to fall in love with it. 

I could see Table Mountain from my hotel

But what surprised me the most is the people. Strangers still greet each other politely, hold doors open, apologize for being in the way or bumping into you even though it's not their fault. I was giving way to a lady from an opposite direction on a narrow path, she took the time to say, "thank you for being a gentleman". Everywhere you go, people greet each other, "how's it" is the most common, but also with sincerity. I've made so many friends from this trip, some I know will be lifelong. The organizers kept mentioning the Malaysian guy, so random people would walk up to me, say my name, shook my hand, gave me fist bumps, offering compliments and congratulations, it was such a nice feeling and I felt a bit sad for it to end. 

Did you know South Africa has Malay culture

It's hard to run a perfect tournament series, and Monster Jam had it's share of hiccups and challenges. But overall it's run with passion, a willingness to further the industry in their region, and a super friendly family-feeling vibe which I loved. If you've watched the livestream production it's definitely the best I've been on. (and I've been on WSOP and WPT streams) And if you're wondering, yes I turned my AJ into a 5-bet bluff and got lucky. There were dead money and I thought I could get the cold caller to fold..... 

Kirstenbosch Botanic Gardens

First event of the series I felt rusty, and maybe overly excited. When it was blind vs blind, sb opened 8x so I jammed with KJcc only to be snapped off by AA. Who opens 8x with AA on the sb?!? But the next one I did well to finish 2nd for my biggest score this year. Could have won it had I not been 2 outered but that's poker. I followed that up with my first mystery bounty ITM for a small profit but fizzled out in the main busting 2 bullets. Overall a profitable series and I made money for my friends who bought action as well so can't complain. A multiple cash series and a sniff at a trophy, 2/5 ITM rate, I'll take it. 

Blue ocean market indeed

Will I return? Given the opportunity you betcha! One thing other players need to learn from the South Africans is to loosen up on the table. Not your ranges, but your mouth. Poker is a social game, not a prostate exam. We were cracking jokes at every table, making friends, having a good time. It made recreational players enjoy the process and feel less intimidated. If you want to grow an industry you have to reduce the hostility, and increase the hospitality. This will forever be one of my most memorable poker adventures. 

Slap a mat on it and let's play poker

Beautiful market and produce

No comments:

Post a Comment