Follow This Blog

Sunday 26 November 2023

USOP Danang Report and beyond

I wasn't planning on attending but went last minute. My now regular cash game took a break and so we all went together. Thanks for organizing the trip and putting us up in this sick villa. First event right off the bat I played in the High Roller bounty event. It was a roller coaster ride but I collected two bounties and my first ITM of the series. I played my last two hands pretty badly to be honest and could have had at least a couple more payjumps had I played better.

View from my balcony

The next couple of days I bricked everything. One key turning point for me was the heads up challenge. I signed up at the last minute and went in pretty confidently. I felt I played perfectly in that session. I crushed the other guy. Hero calling right, bluffing right, maximizing value, winning 80% of the pots. But there were 3 coolers that became big pots that I lost. Top two pair vs his turned straight which I lost the minimum, QQ vs KK all in pre (doubled him up and I still had 70k left) and then when blinds kept increasing, jamming A5 in to AQ. Psychologically this loss had a big impact on me. I felt that I played almost every hand right and I still lost because of coolers. That night I played in the PLO tournament and got further wrecked. Full wrap with nut flush draw AQJTdddc on T67Kddcc all in vs two other players, river bricked. Fun player blind pot pre, I flopped a flush on T65 flop, we both went all in, he wakes up with TT and pairs the board. These are just two of the "highlights" of my bad spots. 

Why must the coolers favor him?

Thankfully each night I had a nice villa to return to and dinner with my partner always made me feel better. But somehow I felt I have lost something in tournament poker. Maybe I have been spoiled by cash games or am just tired of the tournament grind. The following day I bounced back slightly with a bounty and a small ITM in the PLO5. 

Good food makes me happy

The main event turnout was amazing so I couldn't just fire one bullet. First one KK < 66. Second JT vs QJ on T98 flop. Third 88 < AA. I didn't stay until the end of the series and am itching to get back to cash games. I've learned to appreciate the things in life, enjoy every moment (preferably with loved ones). I do enjoy the prestige that comes with tournament success, but honestly how many actually profit enough from it to call it a career? In 2023 I have cashed about USD 80k from tournaments, which is not shabby at all. But after deducting all expenses including travel costs, I only have a small profit to show for it. I won more than that from one session of cash game. 

Future is bright and sunny

Don't worry, I will be back for Poker Dream Genting 2024, but for now it's back to cash game grinds as I feel the EV is with cash games. I will still dabble with tournament poker now and again but you'll probably see me less in 2024. 2023 has definitely been the most interesting year of my life. Memories that I will keep for life. Will share with you guys my journey later next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment