Follow This Blog

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Weekend Poker Excursion (Part 1)

This past weekend I went home and played poker for two nights. First night I won 235bb and it was one of the bigger stakes in my repertoire. Quite a good trip as I got to see some old friends, make some new friends, make some new rivals, meet my old rivals, rejuvenated an old friendship. Yes bro, I missed you. In this two nights there were a few very interesting hands which I will share with you later. But I made a few good moves that I wouldn't have done before mainly because:

1. I manage my bankroll much better than before: I play no fear poker now, so I don't have to think about the money, what if I'm wrong, etc. I just go with my read and play 100%
2. Combinatorics gave me a new perspective on price and odds.
3. Hand range reading helped me a lot as well.

 First of all I will share with you one of my bluffs:

One hand I had 79 of hearts. Villain is an aggro player in the Button, I was in late position. I limped but villain raised it to 5x. 2 callers to me so I called. Flop was 622 two hearts. I had two over cards and the flush draw. Pretty good flop for me. I checked, Villain bets strong, everyone else folded, I called.

Turn was another 6. I checked again, villain bets again. In the past I would have folded this spot. But I floated the turn. Actually I tanked a bit and called. The reason being is the villain is unlikely to have a 6 nor a 2 in this spot. If he has an over pair, he won't love my turn call. If the river comes a heart, I can bet for value or check raise but unlikely he would bet the river. If the river is not the two outer of his over pair, I can bet and and take it down. By not raising my flush draw on the flop I can represent a 6 in my hand quite easily. So river came a black Q. I tanked and lead out for about 60% of the pot. He folded.

Another hand I played quite tricky was this:

Mid position preflop I had KK. Foo Foo from early position raised (he said he had QQ - fish). I 3bet and sb min raised me. Foo Foo folded. Min raise seem really strong to me but not knowing what Foo Foo raised with, I thought villain may have QQ or AA. I was once told, when you have Kings and you think your opponent may have Aces, then go all in on the flop instead of preflop. That way you might still get him/her to fold. If he has Queens, he is not going to call my 5bet. So I just called. Flop was rainbow Jack high. He leads out again. Jamming was about min raise ++ so I did. He snap called with Jacks for the top set. Turn came the King and I won.

While I am not proud for sucking out on the turn, in the long run I feel I made the right move. What if the flop came 10 high, 8 high, it would be the same result and I would win most of the time. If I 5bet pre I would not have maximised the value.

Another crazy hand:

Preflop I had 68 of hearts, I raised, villain (same guy as the bluff hand I mentioned above) called from the button again. Yes he had position on me. Flop was AdKd7h. I cbet, he called. Turn was 5h I had open ended straight flush draw. I bet quite strong, he called. River was Qh. I made my runner runner flush. How can I extract max value? I over bet the pot, but I did hollywood it a little, make it look like I didn't want to. I bet 500 and had just 400 behind. He snap shoved. Now, let's discuss why did he do that. Obviously his hand either has me beat badly or he missed his draw as well. I looked like bluffing and still had fold equity with the 400 behind. It seems very unlikely I had the flush so I might be able to fold monsters like two pairs. But one fundamental mistake he made was what could I have. I am over betting the river with either close to nuts or nothing at all. If I had nothing, he could actually call off and might be good. If I had close to nuts I am not folding. Anyway I snap called and he had nothing.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment