Follow This Blog

Wednesday 27 January 2016

My first poker tournament title (Dec 2013)

It was in Manila and it was a charity event. I just won a seat to the main on the satellite just the day before. I thought I would chill and enjoy some cash games before the main. Honestly I only remembered bits and pieces of it. It was during this trip I put in a 30+ hour session non stop. It was a pretty good week if I remembered correctly. Firstly I won a satellite I did not intend on joining, I won a tournament I did not intend on joining, I was chip lead in the main for about 9 hours, I went on playing non-stop, only going back to my hotel room to get changed and played in a another tournament where I finished 10th with JJ (one player had QQ and the other had KK)....

My friend from Malaysia wanted to play in the event and asked me to join him. I was reluctant because there was a juicy cash game going on but somehow he coaxed me into joining. I forgot how I ran but I just remembered one guy commented that I played to win, and deserved to win. Top 5 got paid and I remember having 6 people left. I remember I had Norbert Koh (Singapore pro), Sparrow Cheung (HK pro) and Christian Faering (Thai based pro) on my left. I was one of the shorter stacks and blinds were pretty high. A lot of shoving. One key hand I had 33 and was 3 bet by Sparrow and I 4bet shove. He called with AT but he won. At least I got it in good.

We were 6 handed for a long time. Christian Faering at the time was holding the unofficial records of bubbling. I think a ridiculous 7 times or something like that. He was chip lead and we joked if he was going to bubble. I offered what about the winner gives the bubble the buy in money. Since we couldn't burst it for quite a while. They all agreed. Christian ended up bubbling. Sorry man, but you did get your buy in back.

Heads up was against Norbert Koh. Somehow this guy doesn't like me, or just has an attitude, or his default face is just fierce. I remember one key pot I went all in with Q rag and he had Ace high but I won. Final hand I had QJ and won. Okay, I guess he took revenge when he knocked me out of the main.

My first title, first trophy. I don't know when am I going to get another one. I have since come close a few times. I seem to either finish 4th or 7th for some reason. Anyway you can bet I will keep on trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment