Follow This Blog

Wednesday 13 March 2019

7-day challenge #embracethegrind

I have not played poker consecutive days this long for a very long time. After finishing up tourneys in Taipei, I decided to go to Cambodia for a week of grinding before heading to Vietnam for the WPT. The problem with most tournaments in Asia is that legal cash games are not available. (For example Vietnam, Taiwan, China)

Inspired by YouTuber Johnnie Vibes and his 30-day challenge, I did a 7 day challenge myself. After arriving I did not play the same day because I think playing fresh is very important. I played the following day and day 1 was not a great start. To be honest by the time I am writing this I have forgotten most of the key hands that day. But I remember being pretty tired at the end and spewing chips on the 2/5 table.


 Day 1 = -877 USD

I guess I hadn't played cash games for two weeks leading up to the game, and I was just figuring out who were the sharks and fishes on the table. But it's good that I came across as a non-threatening player to the regs so they would play more with me in the following days.

Day 2 = +992 USD

On day 2 I had a better session this time grinding out a $992 profit in a few hours. My memory is failing me where I used to be able to remember hands from years ago, now I can't even remember most of it in a matter of days. Sigh... the price of wisdom (or maybe just old age)

Day 3 I can remember pretty well being that it was more recent than day1 and 2 lol but there was a key hand that turned the whole session around. I was +800 within 1 hour and was thinking of calling it a night when this hand happened. Button straddled to 10, big blind thought that it was 15 and put in $15. The dealer forced him to raise to $20 when I am in co with KK. Button is a tough thinking player who likes to play pots with me and makes big moves on me. So I thought this is a spot where I can pretend that I am trying to steal the $20 mistaken raise. I popped it up to $70. Button now makes it $190 and we had about $1600 effective. Now I am thinking my plan worked. He thinks I am stealing so he is re-stealing! I made it $850, he jammed and I snap call. Well, he has AA. Bye bye $800 profit and I was now -$800. From then on I think I forced the game and got in pots that I shouldn't have. I managed to grind back to even but I got greedy. Wanted a profit but ended up losing $2200 for the night.

Day 3 = -$2200

I am a firm believer in self reflection. Took time to review my play and critiqued myself. Came to day 4 with a better mindset. Game was pretty uneventful for me, but there were a few big pots (that I was not involved in) but it got some of the players tilted so we made it a 5/10 game. Key pot for me was I backed into a runner runner flush and I almost tripled up. Then proceeded to make a few big bluffs and overpot value bets that got paid off. I had a great night. I usually stop playing after midnight as I wanted to keep a healthier lifestyle. This game I told myself was worth staying up for. I stayed until 5am and won $3100 for the day.

Day 4 = +$3100

The next day I went to the game to kill time while waiting for a friend to go to dinner. The 2/5 games were full so I sat on the 1/3 while waiting. This was when I won 600bbs from a drunk uncle who is one of the funniest and nicest people on the table. One key hand was utg raised to $12, 5 callers and uncle on sb made it $65. There's $130-ish in the pot and I needed to call $53 more in position completing action, and we had a 300bb effective stack, I decided to flat with 54hh. Flop was J53hh. He cbets $150. I think he's never smashing this flop except for JJ so I jam $800 and he calls. Turns a 4 rivers a 3. I thought the paired board counterfeited my two pairs but instead he flips over 42o for an open ended straight draw. Anyway day 5 was short but sweet with a nice profit.



Day 5 = +1275

Playing 5 days straight at my age does take a toll. I caught a flu so now I am battling a headache and block nose while playing. I started the day with $1000 and whittled down to $500. But anyway I got paid on on a river jam with A8 on a KA35Accc board by KJdd and I doubled up to $1000. After a few small pots here and there came this hand. Button straddled to $10, sb, bb and utg called. I am utg1 with AKdd I made it $50. Sb and utg called. Flop came 542ccd. Sb donks for $60, utg calls, I call. Turn 9d sb bets 120, utg calls, I call. River Td. Sb bets 225, I have around 1k behind. I jam and he tank called. Won a couple of hands after and ended the day with a decent profit.

Day 6 = +1614

Final day of my 7-day challenge as I am leaving for Vietnam the day after, I started off slow but one hand turned it all around. At this point I was down about $800. Utg opened to 20, co on is a huge whale makes it 55. I am on the button with KJ and because of the whale's range, I thought I can flat in position. Flop comes KJ8ss. Both checked, I bet 85. Co calls. Turn is another K. I thought I can let the fd get there so it went check check. River was a blank Q. Co checks. I overbet the pot by 2x+ by betting 500. I had about 500 behind. He tanked for a while and called with 88!!! I was thinking I must have gotten max value here but instead I missed value! He was planning a check raise all along but because of my huge oversize bet he just flatted. But anyway I think long term this line is okay.

Day 7 = +447

Overall in 7 days I am up $4351, about 800bb, estimated about 40 hours of play. Not a super great result cause I have had scores of 800bb+ in one session. But I am ecstatic with this result. I think most of the time I played well, but of course I did get lucky in some spots and got paid. I am not as sharp and have the stamina I used to, but I am proud to have played 7 days straight and still pulled out a respectable profit. I will be back again and this time I will try a longer challenge. Maybe 10 or 14 days.





No comments:

Post a Comment