Follow This Blog

Sunday 24 March 2019

WPT Vietnam Report


Why do we tolerate the outdated decor, smoky hallways, non-existent air conditioning, half hearted dealers, constant card marking, 50k for water, 10% “tax”, slow rollers and bad beat celebrations of Pro Poker Club? Because the tourneys are soft! Of course I wish the conditions are better but I’ll take soft fields over comfort and atmosphere any day. 

This past WPT was a measuring stick for me. I wanted to see if I am good enough to continue on this path or should I just forget about tournament poker. I made a horrendous mistake on the High Roller but other than that I think I played a decent series. It’s my first triple ITM series where I cashed the Kick-off, PLO and main event.

PLO FT second chip leader


The kick-off was pretty uneventful, standard hands, coolers and KO. Then I jumped into the short deck event. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. First bullet I busted when middle position over jam KK pre, I had AA on the button I rejam, big blind decides to call with JT. Flop was 678, turn 9. Then my second bullet I jammed 30 antes with KK only to be called by big blind’s A7o. Flop A.

PLO was the painful one. I was 2nd chip leader with 5 players left. I had the other players covered by quite a bit. UTG I opened QQJ8ds. Chip leader on the sb called. Flop KQ3r I decided to slow play. Turn was 4s and now with two spades on board. Chip leader donks for the pot, I repot and he jammed. Snap call. He shows JJ52sss. Yes he had 3 spades in his hand. I had 70% at the time to become the new chip leader with 3 short stacks left. River A. Should I have fast played my flop? I don’t think so. Can’t be result oriented and I like my line. I got him to commit 300k with 30% equity.

First plaque in Vietnam
Main event at one point in day2 I was top 5 in chips. I lost AT < TT 8bb jam, then lost AQ < TT for 15bb. On my left was a UK player who had been 3 betting my opens quite a few times. One time I decided to defend my open with JThh. Flop came 985hxx. I check raise his cbet and was snapped off by AA. I still had 37% equity and turned a T which kept me at 30% ish for the river. But it wasn’t what I hoped for. Two 70-30 flips that did not go my way.
Last event of the series I played in the High Roller. Leading up to my last bust I had QQ on the big blind. Utg1 opened, button flat, I 3bet to 7x, initial aggressor folds, button jams for 60bb and I snap off. He shows AKo. Board ran T7T4A. Gg. 

Overall I think I played a decent series but again not finishing super deep means it wasn’t a great result. If I won that PLO hand I would have had a shot at winning that event for 10K USD instead I got 1800 for finishing 5th. But I collected my 5th ITM for the year, with 2 FTs, outpacing my 2018 results at a much higher ITM %. I decided to extend my dream for just a while longer, heading to Taipei for J88 and the HK/Taiwan Series. 

Same denomination but different color. Call me OCD
So far I have kept to my new year resolutions. But upon reflection, I still need to work on my discipline and focus. In some hands I have shown flashes of brilliance that most pros would be proud of, but at times I would make mistakes even fishes would laugh about. Gotta work on increasing the first part and reducing the second.

If you like what you just read, please click FOLLOW or drop me a message at happyriverpoker@gmail.com I always love hearing from fellow poker lovers.


1 comment:

  1. playing with no mistake, lack of luck, busted then no regret

    ReplyDelete