Follow This Blog

Thursday 20 June 2019

Nostalgia

Was home for a week and met up with my old poker buddies. It was nice to catch up. Within the group I am the only one that went pro. I think many envy my life but no one understands the grind I have to go through. But yet I do appreciate the lifestyle I have. But it is not as glamorous as you would think.

Reminiscing the good old times, and I am touched so many showed up to coffee at the drop of my name. So it is only natural for me to ask for a game. We played 3 sessions of OFC, 1 session of Holdem and my virgin live shortdeck cash game. There's a video circulating amongst my friends of an OFC session with me, Aaron and KM. Aaron and I were singing and dancing when both of us got fantasyland against KM. It was nice to play OFC again with Aaron.

My friend Jason hosted the game at his apartment. Big poker table in dining room, table full of local food and snacks, fridge with local soft drinks and even soup in the pot. Brings back so many memories of our old games. There was a tub of peanut cookies, a typical Chinese New Year snack that I haven't had in years. Was so content snacking on it as we played. We ordered Roti Canai and McDonald's for supper. It was a nice break from the daily stresses of life.

No where else in the world where you can play poker with 100 Plus and peanut cookies
During the holdem session there was a Holdem cash game virgin too. I made the mistake of trying to bluff a fish. She called my 75% pot size bet on river with J9ss on a QJXXX with 4 clubs on board. We all had a big laugh about it. I did well on my first ever shortdeck cash game too, winning 640 antes. Could have been more if not of a bluff by one of my closest poker buddies. The Shortdeck session we played in a dark environment with the music turn up high. One of the guys wanted to replicate the famous KTV games we have here.

Replicating KTV session by turning down the lights
It was nice to catch up and play against my old friends. Some I have known for 20+ years. Now back to the grind with friends that I have known days or weeks at most. But poker camaraderie is the same everywhere. It is easy to quickly make friends if you are friendly enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment