Follow This Blog

Tuesday 9 July 2019

Phnom Penh Orphanage

As part of my pledge for June's profits (even though I think I am still having a negative year), I wanted to do something for the locals here. I found an orphanage that houses 30 kids and I thought it would be nice to show up bringing them some food and snacks. 

Oh yes you saw right, I bought 32 toothbrushes
Off to the supermarket and bought fruit, biscuits, chocolates and cookies for the kids to snack on, hand wash, 32x toothbrushes with toothpaste, vitamin C, malt drinks, 60 eggs...... I was pretty excited to go there. I even thought that I could play with the kids, maybe even teach them Chinese or English, or a song. It was pouring hard and it was wet in the little tuk tuk but braving the elements, we headed to the orphanage. It was about 25 minutes away in the rain-caused traffic.

Longest receipt of my life
On the website it says we could play with the kids, they love the company. I was imagining seeing kids run around and jump for joy when they saw the goodies we brought. I would assume they don't get snacks and chocolate that often. Was contemplating buying instant noodles for them but I thought better not spoil them.

NACOPCA official website

When we got there it was raining cats and dogs, and the place was pretty secluded in a small alley. There was a banner overhead with their name and logo but the place looked so dodgy. No kids, only a few barking dogs and an old man in a sarong. I didn't feel good about it. I just dropped the stuff and left. I should have taken a photo but it was raining so heavily I didn't want to get my phone wet.

Go Tuk Tuk
I've read somewhere not to donate to any orphanage. Now I guess I know what that means. There was another one run by a UK based charity. I think that one would have been more legit. Problem was it was 20km away and I thought a local orphanage with no international funding would be more needy. Anyway, I hope the stuff got put to good use anyway. If they were a scam, good luck using 32 toothbrushes with toothpaste. 

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you did what u said. And helped the needy.

    ReplyDelete