Follow This Blog

Monday 7 February 2022

Phnom Penh Poker Adventure

I had three weeks of free time leading up to Chinese New Year so I took a trip to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Cambodia is one of the few places that did not require a quarantine, had poker, and I had friends to visit. I had left for almost a year and I thought it would be fun to revisit. 

Although I hate to admit it, despite being crude, Cambodia has a simple and effective strategy of tracking and controlling COVID. I've seen so many countries including my own over complicate things, unnecessary steps and forms and yet be much less effective. I applaud the Cambodian government for doing a great job on this. 

Despite only being away for about 10 months, much has changed where I used to hang. New buildings, businesses and even poker games have popped up, some restaurants I used to love did not survive the economic pressures of COVID but in their place new ones taking up the challenge. The poker crowd was different too. I recognize 30% of players but the rest were new faces to me. That's always a sign of a thriving poker community. 

PLO fun at my old haunt

I wanted to sneakily enter the country and surprise my friends but one of them messaged me while he was on the toilet, and I couldn't lie to him. There were people I tried to avoid seeing too, and I was told even after leaving the country for so long, people were still talking about me. Some even claim they've seen me at different locations. I don't know if I should be flattered or concerned but one thing is for sure, I've made my mark in the Phnom Penh poker scene. 

I played everyday except one and racked up a decent profit, most of it coming from the last few days. Most days I would play until the sun comes up as the games get better as the night goes on. It's also fun that many players give me action as I've been labeled a maniac. One uncle even called me a bluffing king. A couple of achievements were unlocked in this trip, one being calling all in with T high and was ahead of 9 high and won. A couple of notable hero calls that won were all in calls with A high and K high respectively. I also won a surprising hand when I gave up on my bluff but won with 8 high vs another bluff. 

No I do not own any share of this private game

One thing I love about Phnom Penh is the food scene. There are so many of my favorite restaurants in town. But I am proud to say I maintained my one meal a day diet and even managed two 48 hour + fasts during the trip. I am pretty sure I lost more weight and am looking forward to weighing myself when I return.  

Chinese New Year dinner with friends


No comments:

Post a Comment