Follow This Blog

Friday 8 July 2022

APT Hanoi (Grand Loyal) Report

It's been a while since my last post. Sorry I have been a bit lazy to post and I do have my reasons for not posting earlier. Reason being is I am actually flying back to Hanoi in two days for the next APT at VSOP. Yes Hanoi was that good that I am going back for the 2nd time in 2 months.

Juicy deep stack games

Let's start with tournaments. Vietnamese fields are typically softer than other Asian stops however that did not help my results too much. I played well in the opening event only to lose with A8 on a 88J flop to runner runner 9Q. Then in the second event I played I ran deep only to fall 4 spots from the money. I had a really bad table draw for the main with probably the toughest table in the whole tournament but I finally managed a deep run in one of the side events finishing 2nd for a modest score. This was my third 2nd place finish in tourneys so I am okay with that. However it could have been sweeter had I won any of the last two 47/53 flips, I would have taken down my 8th trophy of my career. 

When it was down to heads up, my opponent actually offered me to take first place money but conceding the trophy to him. I had a small chip lead, and I felt I was more experienced than he was, so I turned him down. I could have offered him the trophy for better than first place money and he would have taken it, but in my mind I wanted to win legitimately, and even if I lose, I rather lost from playing for it. Where is the integrity of the game if he basically "bought" the trophy from me? But I went home about $2000 poorer because of it. So much for having principles LOL. To be honest, overall I still lost money from tourneys but this deep run at least gave me back my sanity. I know I am not a top tourney player, but to get beat time and time again, mostly by players much worser than me really plays on my mind. Maybe now I've gotten the monkey off my back I can play freer and string some results together.

Poker and coffee

Cash game was a different story. The Hanoi game was amazing. Crazy maniacs tossing chips around, buying in deep, calling off light, bluffing often and sometimes without logic. However I made 3 major mistakes that cost me maybe about $6000. I think mentally I am not fit, my stamina is not what it used to be, I pushed for marginal spots and didn't sleep enough. Also I was in a couple of sick bad beat hands, AA lost to KK all in pre, two pairs got two outered for a $8000 pot, 15 out draws on the turn ran twice missed twice for $5000.... Had the cards gone my way a little I should have walked away from my last trip with a big profit. Instead after tallying all cash and tourneys I made a small loss. No point sugar coating it, it was just not good enough. But this time round I have a better game plan, going to be more focused and I am bringing my secret weapon 😆 This trip I had a scary episode in my hotel room. I will share this on a different post another day. 

Best duck noodles of my life

I've visited Hanoi twice before this trip and both times I wasn't impressed. This trip however I got to see a different side to Hanoi that I love. Food was awesome and I met a few really nice people. Something tells me Hanoi may become my favourite destination for the upcoming years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment