Follow This Blog

Thursday 16 March 2023

Hong Kong & Macau Report

Hong Kong and Macau played a big part in my poker career. Over the years I have dabbled in poker whilst in Hong Kong, and it was there I left my job to play full time. It was also by winning the Central Cup (organized by the HK Poker Players' Association) where I extended my tournament career that led me to where I am today. So it is always cool to be able to visit after being unable to for the last 3 years. 

Same skyline, better camera

Today Hong Kong has a different vibe than when I was living there. It is as if the life has been sucked out of it. I can see pain and sadness on my friends' faces of what Hong Kong has become, when their home doesn't feel like it anymore. Always a very social city, it is nice to gather with old friends and make new ones, over a game of poker, money Jenga, OFC or in-between. I had a lapse of discipline where I played some degen games with my friends but the laughs were priceless. And I am proud to say in my 3 days in Macau I didn't touch any table games. 

Super tight Jenga for money with multiplier!

First real session of Holdem I did terribly. I think I was being too relaxed amongst friends and admittedly I was super tired and was not playing well. A couple of lapses in judgement made me throw a couple of buy ins away. But determined to do better, the next 3 sessions I played in Macau were of better quality. If only a couple of major hands went my way, it would have been an even better result, but I did pray for a profitable trip and thank God that was what I got. 

Food this trip was ridiculously good. There is only a handful of life changing meals that I've had, but this trip I had one in Macau at A Baia Portuguese restaurant. I was also introduced to the best suckling pig I've ever had. But most meals were memorable because of the people I had them with. I am happy that some friends and I have kept in touch over the years. 

Baby squid in it's own ink yummmmm

Hotels are still super expensive in both HK and Macau, and the ones I chose were disappointing. They don't seem to understand the concept of "do not disturb" and "afternoon nap". Once they called my room to ask if I needed room cleaning, the second time I thought I was smart by unplugging the phone but they came knocking at my door. Service levels seem to have improved overall but you still get the occasional rude staff. 

So nice to walk without having to go back to the office

But overall we had a great time. Was planning to see a few more people, eat at a few more restaurants, but too many friends, too much good food, too little time. We'll be back again at some point!


No comments:

Post a Comment