Follow This Blog

Thursday 6 April 2023

Manila Report

Forewarning, not going to talk much about poker in this post. My first poker trip of my career (taking a trip primarily for poker) was to Manila in 2008/2009. Been to so many clubs in Manila I have really lost count. I've had some interesting experiences in the Philippines like being followed by weird men, almost got kidnapped, victim of an attempted robbery by a bunch of kids, donated my shoes to a homeless shoeless lady... but I also fell in love with snorkeling and sea life, won my first poker trophy, and made many friends in my many visits to this country. 

Haven't been to this part of Manila in a while

This recent trip however opened my eyes to something that I didn't pay much attention to before. Before I start ranting, let me say I am often the first to complain about the Philippines. Some policies they have do not make any sense. Someone high up just make rules and do not care if it inconveniences any one. For example there is a beautiful shoreline park next to Okada but there is a security guard that prohibits people from walking there. Me bringing my luggage, backpack, passport in hand trying to enter the airport and I still need to show my ticket. As if I have nothing else to do but to lug around heavy bags to pretend I am flying. Sure I get it, there are non passengers trying to get in for free AC or whatever reason. But common sense isn't very common here. Service levels at some places are impressive, but in general, Filipino service is slow, sometimes rude or impersonal. People just DGAF about their jobs or doing it the best they can. Many just choose to scrape by, put in the hours, get paid and GTFO. 

Some poker content

However I started to put myself in their shoes. Some of these service staff are being treated like crap! Especially by foreigners and from my observations during this trip, glaringly from Mainland Chinese and Koreans. Yes they are there to serve customers, but somethings that are just right in front of you, the customer still insists to be helped, as if getting up for 2 seconds is going to kill them. Then there is a feeling of superiority as if Filipino service staff or even fellow players are less than human. The way they are spoken to carries no positive emotion, no respect, no gratitude. Sure some customers would say thanks and tip also but most I've seen treats them worse than animals. At least if my dog fetches me something I would reward her. 

Oh, I didn't know that

So here is the chicken and egg argument. Was it because of overall poor service that caused customers to lose respect and treat service staff like shit? Or was it poor attitude from customers and bosses created the lack of self worth and job satisfaction for them to give a rat's ass? I do not know, but I've seen some that had good service treated the same way. So what did I do? I  did my best to be the exemplary customer. I thanked them for their service, tipped those who were outstanding, some I even asked for their names and spoke to them like human beings. Sure we need their help from time to time but at other times you can still speak to them normally. Ask them how their day was, try to get to know them, treat them and their job with respect. I also would chat up fellow players including Filipinos some of which are there to make a living. Wouldn't it be nice if you went to work in a friendly environment? 

I guess the recent enlightenment was from my Moroccan experience being treated like second class by a small number of European players. I am being nice on the table, trying to speak to them in their own language, playing poker ethically, but all they needed was just look at my face and instantly decide to treat me differently from others of their own skin tone. Did Asians raped and plundered their ancestors? What did I do to deserve this? Sure some of the Asian players I've seen this trip probably deserved to be looked down at because of their behavior, but me? Really?

Same ugly chips, same ugly uniform as 15 years ago

There are great human beings and there are human beings who suck. But at the end of the day, they are all human, just like you and me. If they didn't wrong you, hurt you, did bad things to you, they should be respected, appreciated as we would treat anyone else. Even if they made a mistake, as if we never make mistakes. We shouldn't be treating them any less than how we treat others. Because if we do, then maybe we deserve it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment