Follow This Blog

Sunday 8 October 2023

Poker Dream Hoian Report

When I first started playing at tournaments 13 years ago, I would have been ecstatic with a bag, or ITM. 13 years later, I am not satisfied with multiple cashes or deep runs. But I think about how far I've come, how I have made a career out of poker, the journey I've been on, the friends I've made, the places I've been, the experiences I've had, the life I've lived, I can't help but be thankful. 

Sometimes the journey takes you on narrow alleys

Coming to Poker Dream Hoian I had big hopes again. First and foremost I always pray for a safe and happy trip. Of course I also want a profitable trip and specifically final tables and trophies as well. I got the first part, but this trip I didn't get the second part. The most painful was actually losing "heads-up" in the Halloween costume contest to a contestant that didn't know the competition existed, and had likes from people that weren't even in the poker scene. But kudos to her for actually going on to win the main event. Hope she does something good with the money. 

I got two 9m bounties. Guy on my left got 400m

This trip I managed to get 2 ITMs, both in Mystery bounty events, picking up 5 bounties, finishing 17th and 10th respectively. Had I drawn better bounties the P&L could have been so different but I never thought of myself as a lucky person, at least financially. After a rough series at USOP Hanoi, I now did just as bad at Poker Dream. How bad? I lost about 15 months of my last Malaysian salary in the two series. Thankfully from other events and income, I still had a decent last two months, otherwise this could have been a really bad blow to my bankroll. 

ITM twice in the same day

Some of you may have noticed I started wearing a cross on my neck. Now that I am not representing any poker company, I felt it was important for me to represent something bigger than poker, bigger than myself. Win or lose, God doesn't owe me anything, but I owe it to Him to be at my best behavior, to be different from other people, to be caring, kind, honest, helpful, polite, loyal, respectful, generous, giving... My faith doesn't make me a better poker player, but it should make me a better person. I look back to my post in 2018, I think I am vindicated for being nice. 

Beautiful Hoian

Overall this year I am still profitable in tourneys, coming close so many times. The next event I am eyeing is a few weeks away. I might be taking some time off tourneys to get back to cash games. Surely the prestige and recognition isn't the same, but the money is just as sweet. I'll be back, hopefully with a big loud bang. 

I'll be back


No comments:

Post a Comment