Follow This Blog

Monday 8 April 2024

Poker Dream 9, Genting Malaysia Report

Since November 2023 I have switched to playing cash games more than tourneys and it has been paying off with 5 profitable months in a row although April is off to a shaky start. But I still can't resist a good tournament series let alone one that is in Malaysia. 

Special thanks to the volunteers for helping

First event off the bat after max late regging I manage to spin it to a decent day 2 stack, crushed the mid-late game but ended up on the final table as one of the shorties. Managed to evade elimination and jumped to 5th before I was knocked out. Played my last hand poorly where I should have been able to get away from it and who knows maybe spin up what I had left. But to finish 5th in a field of 1508, I'll take it. 

Not actual cash out*

But as the week progressed, my stamina began to wane. I am a light sleeper to begin with. But after discussing with some friends, it seems most people did not sleep well at any of the Genting hotels. My theory is the hotels are deliberately messing with our sleep so that patrons sleep less, gamble more, tilt easier. I can feel that I wasn't playing 100%, making mistakes, over playing certain spots, getting impatient and losing my discipline. I was particularly upset at myself as I promised I wouldn't degen but I ended up flipping with friends after a cash game session. The next few days I was immediately punished for that. I actually honestly felt I was the fish of my table, that was how bad I was playing. 

This trip I was reminded of some realizations:

1. My fiancĂ© is my rock. I sometime take for granted the calming effect that she has and how much that helps me decompress and prepare for the next game. 

2. I am still not good enough. Some days I can play very good poker, but other days I am a fish. I need to continually work on my game, discipline and stamina. 

3. Work life balance. I got into poker for freedom and healthier lifestyle. Sure there's always money to be made, but I want to spend that money on a life. 

4. If you can't spot the fish, leave. I often make up excuses to stay. I don't want to hit and run, I want to chase my losses, I want to support the host, maybe other fishes will come, I've got nothing else to do.... if you're playing to win, and know that you can't win, then stop playing. 

I bricked everything else until the very end where I got a consolation ITM in the Monster Stack. I made money buying action of 3 players. Lost money on 3 other players. (Felt like a stable master at one point) Essentially breaking even on buying action. Ended the series -RM13k or so but considering I cashed RM75k, it's a disappointing result. 


On the positive side, we got the Malaysia Poker Federation off and running, got to make a lot of new friends and meet a lot of old ones. MPF is my way of giving back to this career that has given me a lot. I feel we are in an era of entitlement. There always need to be a benefit to do something. You are Malaysian, you are a poker player, aren't these two reasons enough for you to be a member of the Malaysia Poker Federation? You might not know this but by just joining, you are helping us help you. Sorry for the rant but it's people like these that no one wanted to do this. Anyway, I am doing this for the people that appreciate it. Helping future top Malaysian pros realize their potential. Check out our links here. MPF Facebook and MPF Discord

No comments:

Post a Comment