Follow This Blog

Sunday, 23 August 2026

Thailand Poker Summit - in conjunction with Asia Poker Sports Association (APSA)

About 100 years ago, Thailand wrote in their laws, poker = gambling. Yes it specified the word poker. Today, we just had the inaugural poker summit in Thailand, in a sports ministry building, attended by local ministers and delegates from 11 countries, covered by numerous media outlets. In a world that is ever changing, why do we still stubbornly follow some archaic rules? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's bad. 

20 years ago, poker was legalized in the Philippines. Since then, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam has some form of legalized poker. In Japan, poker is even taught and played by children. Last year, Mongolian courts finally recognized poker as a sport. When will other Asian countries follow suit? 

I lived my life with an adventurous heart. I used to have a goal of learning one new thing a day. I love to visit places I have never been before, learn new languages, instruments, try new types of food. What gets my blood boiling are people who reject things without even trying. They have set their prejudices on certain things and they end up missing out on so much in life! My partner had a bad experience as a kid with spoiled coconut milk, so she avoided all foods that contained it. But now she gets to enjoy so many types of dishes because she was willing to give it another chance. 

99% of people who oppose poker, or brand poker as gambling have never played the game before. Just because it involves chips and cards, it must be a gambling game right? In November 2025, The International Mind Sports Association (IMSA) officially recognized poker as a sport. Hundreds of books have been written about poker strategy. People pay top dollar to be coached by top pros. There are poker schools that train players, from as young as 6 years old (in Japan).

I find myself having to juggle getting support from my fellow compatriots and creating activities, events to generate awareness for non players. I don't know why I took on such a big task, but someone has to do it. The progress is low, the road is long, the obstacles are many, but together with my friends from Asia and APSA, I hope it will amplify our voice and impact. 

If you want to support us or find out more information you can follow us on Instagram or email admin@malaysiapokerfederation.org. We are always on the look out for volunteers and sponsors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment