Follow This Blog

Tuesday 1 November 2016

The Biggest Secret To Success in Poker

I was in Macau this past weekend, I saw so many pros playing there and there was a few of them camped out on the 300/600 table for 40 hour sessions waiting for a big fish who would come in for a few hours a day, lose and then come back again the next day. In the last 4-5 days the guy must have lost about HKD 6 million (USD 800k) on 300/600.

I had some good sessions as well but still couldn't grind out a decent outcome. I stopped to think about my skill levels, and what I am missing. First of all, I must say I am not as skillful as the top players, but I am playing good solid poker. There were a couple of pros who thought that I was a pro too. I guess that is a sign I am playing well. I still made a couple of mistakes here and there but overall I feel I played well.

Me waiting for a seat on 50/100

I saw a guy cash our HKD 1 million after playing 300/600 when I am grinding for scraps on 50/100. What makes him so much better than I am? Then I realized the key difference is DISCIPLINE: (of course there are other differences like skill, experience, bankroll, but the thing I lack the most compared to him is Discipline)

The discipline.....
... to make big folds when you know you're beat
... to play with decent starting hands
... not to tilt
... to take breaks in between
... to have enough rest, food and exercise
... to stay away from table games
... to pick the right spots
... not to make things personal
... not to get overly smart or creative
... not to get complacent
... not to show off
... to know when to leave / stop

Got this chip and still had a bad weekend

I am going to take a break from Macau for a while. I hope I have the discipline to stay away. 

Don't forget to SIGN UP on www.natural8.com using the Bonus Code : POKER168


No comments:

Post a Comment