Follow This Blog

Friday 11 October 2019

My first tournament in 5 months

Tournament poker is frustrating, especially you're playing it for a living. That's why I quit and switched to playing cash. But I needed a break, wanted a holiday, and missed some friends on the circuit so packed my bags and joined the HKPPA series in Taipei.

Taipei is a really nice city
Before I got there my plan was only to play two events. The Main Event, and if I bust, then play the Central Cup. Of course the ideal situation is I would go deep in the main causing me to be unable to play the Central Cup.

I had a pretty smooth day 1. Picked up small to medium pots along the way only losing one decent sized pot, then had someone jam 5b jam 96o when I 4b with KQs. Thankfully I committed myself with my 4b and built my stack from there. Made a big bluff when OMC preflop 3bets, lead river for 3600 into pot of 22000 with only 5000 behind. I put him all in basically 5000 to call for 30k pot and he folded. Last key hand of day 1 was when I had 44 on a Q84ccc flop, I check raised turn and got jammed into by QK no club. Ended the day with a top 10 stack heading into day 2.

Day 2 started off pretty well, had AK twice and got jammed into by AT and AQ and held both times. But I lost a big pot when my bluff back fired. I moved to a new table and aggressive uncle with big stack opened on button. I defended my big blind with 24o. I know I probably shouldn't but a friend told me a day before how loose and crazy this uncle plays. I thought I would have great value if I hit a hand he wouldn't expect me to have.

Flop comes 964. He cbets small I call. Turn is a 5. I check he bets almost the pot this time, 40k. I had 116k left and I check raise all in and he snap calls. Instantly I yelled out GG. Everyone laughed but to my surprise I was ahead! He had A7 for the open ended straight draw. River bricked out and I had a big stack. I later won another all in pre pot vs a Hong Kong pro when my AK hit a runner runner flush vs his AJ top pair. I was the chip leader at that point with 20+ players.

Chip leader with 20 player left
After a failed hero call, a bluff went bad, I was down to 25bbs+ with 10 players left. I pick up 77 vs AK jam with 10bbs. Did not hold and I am suddenly the smallest stack. Late position and super tight BB, I decided to jam my final chips in with Q9 only to be called off by AQ. I yelled GG again but thankfully I spiked the 9 on the flop. Final hand of the night I opened mp with 99, button strongest player on the final 10 3-bets 80% of this stack, sb chip leader decides to go all in. I decided not to gamble vs chip leader. Button had AT and chip leader had 66. Sixes held, and my nines would have scooped the pot making me the chip leader but I made the FT 6th in chips instead.

3rd hand of the FT I am on UTG with AJdd, sb had KQss. Flop came KQ6ddd. I doubled up. Came another key hand where I was the shortest with 6 players left, decided to jam with J9o and got called by TT. Again GG! But lucky me flop was A99. The live stream went on to show I floated a Q62scc flop with 93dd, lead turn when 2c hits, and bet big on river 6s. I wish I was that high level a player to pull that stunt, but it was an RFID error. I had a full house. I built my stack to overtake the chip leader and when we were 4-way, we decided to chop the money. I ended up getting almost 2nd place money even though I finished 4th.

Immediately spent about 1/4 of the prize money, still left with a decent chunk
It was a great result and I miss being on the tournament circuit. I feel really at home on the tournament floor. Many people know me well and it has a homey feeling. I decided to extend my stay for another week to play the next series. As I am writing this, I made day 2 of the following Main Event as day 1A chip leader so maybe I might play on a bit more when I am running good! Hopefully I will have great news to share in a few days too!

No comments:

Post a Comment